Sunday, 28 September 2014

Selection and Rejection - photography


This is one of the pictures I took of Sarah, my model. Who is student at the Sixth Form College. I used her as my model as this therefore suited my TA Survey.
This picture is on my rejection list. This is because the light makes dark shadows under her eyes which makes her face look dull although it is not at all.
Also, I think that the background looks odd – a black curtain - as the creases are not straight down.


 
This is another image I took of Sarah. This is also on my rejection list. This is because the angle I took the picture makes her shoulder stand out and look prominent when it should be her eyes that stand out. Also, the lighting causes shadows on her face around her nose and mouth area, and her cheeks.














This picture I took of Sarah is much better than the others.
Although there is still shadowing I think that the facial expression and her head tilt would be perfect for a college magazine so this is part of my selection list.

However, I am still unsure about the background so if I was to use this image, I would edit it to be plain black.










This image is part of my rejection list as I chose the wrong angle to take this from. I took the image from level with her chin so her eyes are not the main part of the image. Also, the angle of which I took this caused a lot of shadows to appear on her face which makes this image unsuitable for a college magazine.

I really like the positioning of Sarah n the image. Also, the curtained background now seems to look more straight so I prefer this to the others. However, there are shadows on this image too. As a result of this it is on my rejection list.

I love this picture of Sarah. I think that her positioning in the shot is just right for a college magazine. Although there is still shadowing occurring around her mouth, I have to add this to my selection list.


The angle of which I took this picture is not suitable for my college magazine; it causes a lot of shadowing. This is therefore on my rejection list!















 
All the photos above were taken in studio lighting, with two soft boxes and a reflection disk used. The background was just a black curtain in the school drama studio. The next 2 were taken in natural light with a black wall as a background - reflection disks were also used.
 



I prefer this background compared to that of the studio lighting, I also took this picture in natural light which makes the colour of Sarah's skin and hair look a lot better.
This is definitely part of my selection list.
This is my favourite picture out of them all. I like the way that Sarah is looking away - this makes the image look more suitable for a magazine cover as she looks more like a real model, which will make people in the common room want to pick it up. Also, there are little shadows as the reflective disk worked a lot better with natural light. Also, her positioning in the shot is perfect to fit my masthead and stories around. So, this image is definitely going on my selection list!

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent selection and rejection Kayley. It will be interesting to see which image others like when you have them posted to flickr. I too like the last image - you will need to consider how this breaks the convention of the model looking into camera. Well done - you definitely have potential!

    ReplyDelete